I’m sorry I didn’t share this sooner, but my computer wasn’t working so here it is now. This dish was also based on something my Dad’s cousin Lena cooked and this dish turned out very close to what she cooked. The improvised recipe is this:
- Bone-in Pork butt roast cut in 2in. slices
- 8 large green bell peppers, halved
- 1/2 lb mixed mushrooms
- 2 medium sweet onions
- 1 cup of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Dice onions and saute until soft. Add mushrooms to the onions and continue sauteing until the mushrooms become softened. Place in container to keep.
- Wash the green peppers and cut into halves, remove stems, and seeds. In a skillet wilt the peppers with some of the olive oil. Place half of them in a layer on the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Brown the pork on all sides, and place the steaks on top of the green peppers. Salt and pepper the meat to taste.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon the mushroom mixture onto the pork. Then put the remaining green peppers in a layer on top, pour the olive oil over the entire dish.
- Cover and cook in slow cooker for about 8 hours over a low heat.
I’m sorry but I didn’t get a picture of the finished product before we ate it. But it was extremely good. Both my parents, our three guests, and I all enjoyed it. Though I would recommend it for a time when/if you have the time for it to cook, this isn’t just something you throw in the oven 15 min. before a meal. It has to cook for 8 HOURS, though since it is a slow cooker it doesn’t need to be watched every second. But I say thank you to my great cousin Lena for giving us the idea to replicate it.